Warning message

The subscription service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Transferring Students

Whether you are moving interstate or want the benefits of studying an undergraduate degree at a world-class university, there are a number of ways to transfer to UNSW depending on your situation.

Applications for Term 1, 2022 (UNSW Sydney) and Semester 1, 2022 (UNSW Canberra) are now open. Apply via the Universities Admissions Centre before 30th September to avoid higher processing fees.


Transferring from another university

If you have been studying at another university in Australia or overseas you may be able to transfer to a UNSW degree. You will need to apply through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) and remember places are competitive.

To have your university studies considered for admission, you must complete at least one year of full-time study (minimum 0.75 full time equivalent load) within one degree at your university.

If you hold overseas qualifications from a country where English is not the sole language of instruction and assessment, you will need to provide proof of English language proficiency - check our English language proficiency requirements.


Credit Transfer

If you have already completed subjects at another university, you may be able to get some of that study recognised and get credit toward your UNSW degree. The amount of credit awarded depends on how closely the subjects you have completed are related to the equivalent subjects in your UNSW degree.

We don’t assess credit transfer until after we offer you a place and you enrol. Of course, you can get general information from our faculties and see what credit transfer precedents already exist here.

Note: Completion of the Macquarie or UTS Pathway diplomas will be considered for entry into UNSW degrees, however no course credits will be awarded.


Tranferring from TAFE or a Professional College

By completing a graded, Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma, Advanced Diploma, and sometimes Certificate IV, you can be considered for admission to UNSW.  You will most likely be assessed on the grades you received in that qualification.  You will need to submit your application through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

Successful applicants generally require a minimum credit/distinction average with no failures. Trade certificates are not considered unless awarded at Cert IV level or higher.


Transferring within UNSW - Internal Program Transfer

If your grades in your current tertiary study aren't competitive for entry to your preferred UNSW degree, you may consider Internal Program Transfer as a pathway.  This pathway involves gaining entry to another UNSW degree (often in a similar study area) and then applying for Internal Program Transfer (or in limited cases one semester/term) of study.

Students who are already studying at UNSW can apply via myUNSW (UNSW’s student portal) to transfer between UNSW undergraduate degrees. You can check each faculty’s requirements by visiting the Internal Program Transfer page. 


Special Consideration for Applicants with Tertiary Study (SCATS)

If you have undertaken university studies and your secondary or tertiary studies were affected by circumstances beyond your control, then SCATS is for you. SCATS is also applicable if you have been excluded from a tertiary institution. Whilst places at UNSW are still competitive and based on academic merit, this allows the university to take your circumstances into account. For more information please refer to the Information Sheet.

Click here for types of disadvantage that are considered under SCATS.